A simple guide to PI insurance

What is professional indemnity insurance?

Professional indemnity insurance, often referred to as professional liability insurance or PI insurance, covers legal costs and expenses incurred in your defence, as well as any costs that may be awarded, if you are alleged to have provided inadequate advice, services or designs that cause your client to lose money.

Example of a claim.

A graphic designer was briefed by their client to provide price tags that would fit round the stem of Christmas trees. The tags would need to withstand exposure to the elements and stay fitted to the tree while it grew. The tags did not survive the test of time; the ink ran, rendering them useless to the client. The client lost money due to this oversight and took legal action against the graphic designer for professional negligence. The graphic designer’s professional indemnity insurance policy covered their legal costs and compensation payments to the client, a total cost of over £3,000. The client didn’t pursue their claim for the full cost of the labels; if they had, the claim could have cost as much as £100,000.

Do I need professional indemnity insurance?
Many professions need to have professional indemnity insurance as part of their respective industry body’s regulatory requirements. Even if you are not obliged to have PI insurance, without it, you could be liable for thousands of pounds worth of legal fees and compensation payments – not to mention lost income from the time spent defending any allegation.

Professions that might need professional indemnity insurance include (but are not limited to):

  • Management and business consultants such as marketing consultants, training consultants and education consultants
  • IT professionals including IT contractors, consultants, programmers and developers
  • Recruitment agencies and recruitment consultants
  • Designers such as web designers, graphic designers and interior designers
  • Fitness professionals including personal trainers, dance teachers and yoga instructors
  • Teachers and tutors including private tutors

How much does professional indemnity insurance cost?
The cost varies depending on a number of factors, Call us on +234-81-88652533 | +234-70-59391982 | 01-4546443. We are professional indemnity experts and will be happy to help with any questions you might have.

What’s the difference between an ‘any one claim’ and an ‘aggregate’ policy?
‘Any one claim’ and ‘aggregate’ refer to the basis of cover on a professional indemnity policy. An ‘any one claim’ policy provides cover up to the full limit for each individual claim made in the period of insurance, whereas an ‘aggregate’ policy provides cover up to the full limit for all claims made in the period of insurance. To put this into context, if two £75,000 claims are made against a £100,000 any one claim professional indemnity policy, the insurer would cover the costs of both claims, as they are both under the £100,000 limit. If two £75,000 claims are made against a £100,000 aggregate professional indemnity policy, the insurer would only pay up to the £100,000 limit. As the claims total £150,000, the remaining £50,000 would need to be covered by other means. Although any one claim is generally considered the more comprehensive option, the basis of cover varies from insurer to insurer depending on your business activity.

What does ‘claims made’ mean? A ‘claims made’ policy provides cover for claims which are made and notified to the insurer during the period of insurance. This means that provided the wrongful act occurs during the period of insurance, and you report it to the insurer during the period of insurance, it will be covered. However, if the policy is cancelled or not renewed, cover will end and any subsequent claim – regardless of when the wrongful act occurred – would not be covered by that policy. As such, it’s important to have professional indemnity insurance cover in place – even between contracts or work – to ensure your business is protected. All Markel Direct professional indemnity insurance policies are on a ‘claims made’ basis.
This contrasts with a ‘claims occurring’ policy which provides cover for claims which occur during the period of insurance. Professional indemnity policies are rarely, if ever, written on this basis. It is more commonly found with public liability and employer’s liability policies.

What is ‘run off’ cover?
Run off cover insures against claims of professional negligence brought against you after your business has ceased trading. This could be, for example, if you have sold your business or closed it down. It is particularly important for retired business owners to consider; without run off cover in place, they would have to fund the defence of the claim out of their own back pocket.